This past year has been a time of transition, with many ups and downs, but honestly, I’ll remember it as the year I found new freedom and joy in working for myself and following my creative ambitions. A very special thank you to every single person who has supported me or my Hooray Creative brand this year. I’m really looking forward to a fresh start in 2014. I don’t usually make a lot of resolutions because I rarely stick to them, but there is so much I want to do in 2014 – and I think the opportunities are finally there for the taking! Here’s what I resolve to (try to) do in 2014:
1. Continue to develop and legitimize my budding design business and brand – hopefully by leaps and bounds!
2. Design my ass off. I’m eager to start designing new product lines, textiles and art prints.
3. Continue to challenge myself as a stationery designer. Expand my presence on Minted if possible, add to my inventory on Zazzle, etc.
4. Redesign this blog, and create a new and improved website/shop for myself. I’ve been putting this one off for awhile, but it MUST get done soon!
5. Take a few skillshare classes. Maybe handlettering, calligraphy, identity and branding. Refresh my coding skills.
6. Find the time and a project to further develop myself as an artist. Paint, illustrate, conceptualize, create. Take a step away from my computer and do something with my hands again.
7. Make new friends, reconnect with old ones, nurture relationships, network, keep in touch.
8. Get out of the house more often. See California. Seek out inspiration everywhere.
9. Take a vacation or a road trip this year – somewhere I’ve never been.
10. Try to make it home to Buffalo for the holidays in 2014 or visit family in Denver or Florida.
11. Figure out where I’m going to live and make a comfortable home office for myself. Not sure yet if that means a new apt in San Fran or a move back to NYC, but there will be change in 2014 I think.
12. Spend quality time with my favorite person (I mean my boyfriend of nearly 9 years, of course) and our adorable cat.
13. More singing, song-writing and recording. I am a musician as much as I am a designer. There is never quite enough time for the music as I busy myself with design work, but my bf and I swear this is the year things are going to happen. Keep an ear out for our music project and forthcoming EP. We call ourselves, Calm and the Storm.
14. Make more YouTube videos! Get one to go viral!! A long shot perhaps. 🙂
15. Learn to cook a few more dishes/recipes. Be more adventurous and try new foods and ingredients.
16. Prioritize good mental health and well-being. Be happier, more positive. Forgive more. Regret less.
17. This one’s always a given: eat healthier, exercise, lose a few pounds, take better care of myself. I think I really mean it this year.
18. Take a moment every now and then to relax and enjoy life. One of my absolute favorite quotes is:
“Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”
– John Hughes, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off